Saturday, September 18, 2010

I've been reading Mary Ruefle's Selected Poems (just out from Wave) for the past couple weeks. I really enjoyed her witty prose bits in The Most Of It, but am happy to explore her poetry as well. She's one of those ladies who has the ability to turn things upside down in one sentence. And this is most evident in her prose work, I believe. She makes me laugh. And I like that too.

Ruefle is also skilled with the erasure technique. But can this be considered a skill or is it an interesting past time? Can't anyone make an erasure? (Try here) All you do, essentially, is erase. But maybe some are better than others? (See Ruefle's tiny book A Little White Shadow or Jen Bervin's Nets, also tiny.) Bervin does something pretty great in combining embroidery/sewing & erasures. And with my penchant for handicrafts, I can't resist.


No comments:

Post a Comment